Registration begins for Winter Story Times on Monday, January 4. Winter Story Times for toddlers and preschoolers will begin on Monday, January 18 and run until Friday, March 11. Registration is required, parents or caregivers of children may register in person at the Library or by calling 426-4477. Space is limited so registration will be on a first come first served basis.
Children 18 months to 3 years of age may sign up for one Toddler Story Time. Toddler Story Times are held on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Children 3 to 5 years of age may sign up for one Preschool Story Time. Preschool Story Times are held on Mondays at 11:30 a.m. or Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m. Combined Toddler/Preschool Story Times will be offered on Wednesdays or Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. Drop-In Family Story Times will be offered on Fridays at 10:30 a.m. for children who are unable to attend space-limited programs. Parents or caregivers are required to be present at all sessions. Each session lasts approximately 30 minutes.
Winter Story Times for children include picture, pop-up and interactive books, flannel-board stories, songs, puppets, finger plays, crafts and other activities that encourage a love of reading to your child.
Tips for Story Time Success
For many children this will be their first group experience. The following tips will help to make it a happy one:
- Participate: Please join in the activities and save interactions with other parents until after the program. Children love to see their grown-ups listening and participating in story times.
- Minimize distractions: Plan to arrive early. Snacks or toys should be put away and cell phones should be silenced before story times begin.
- Be prepared for bad days: It’s okay, sometimes children just have bad days and we understand. If your child becomes very restless or uncooperative, please step outside the story time room for a few moments to regroup. If you need to leave the session for the day, please come back the following week.
- Relax: There is no expectation that your child will sit still and participate in every activity. Music and movement is incorporated into our all of our story times to keep it interesting and fun.
- Bring it back home. Plan to check out books each week for you and your child to read at home together.
- Ask for help. Our Library staff is available to assist you in selecting which story time is right for your child, to guide you in choosing appropriate books and materials, and to provide information about other library services.
- Visits from groups.Our weekly story times are designed for individual children and their parent or caregiver. Arrangements for a daycare, school or other group field trips should be made in advance.
- Keep it healthy. If you suspect that your child is coming down with something, has a fever or is still coughing or sneezing after a bad cold, please skip a session until they are feeling 100% again.