Thank you for your interest in programming at the Dexter District Library. The Library receives a wide variety of suggestions for programming and requests from outside groups and individuals to present programs at and sponsored by the Library.
Many of the programs the Library offers are organized and conducted by our professional staff members including story times, drop in craft days and book discussions among others. Our staff members have created these interesting and lively programs and have rehearsed their presentations to provide continuity. At this time, we do not accept volunteers or permit performers the opportunity to participate in these rehearsed programs.
Throughout the year, the Library offers programs presented by professional performers and presenters. The Library staff performs research before scheduling these events, checking with other libraries and venues to verify the content and quality of the programming and evaluates information submitted by the performers to gauge the appropriateness of the program for the Library’s clientele. The main goals of programming at the Library are to encourage community members to visit the Library for an entertaining or educational event and encourage use of the Library on an on-going basis.
If you are interested in being considered for a Library sponsored event, the Library has the following requirements:
- A written description of the proposed program must be submitted to the Library for consideration. Proposals must include the name and credentials of the presenter, the subject of the program, the expected duration of the program, an explanation of any associated activities, samples of presentation materials, a description of the target age group (if appropriate) and any requirements the presenter needs fulfilled by the Library.
- A statement as to whether the request for a Library sponsored event will be provided by the presenter on a volunteer or fee basis must be included.
- Notations on program attendance numbers and any restrictions or limitations. Programs, presentations and performances must be of interest to the community at large or a specifically targeted age group to ensure good attendance.
- References from other libraries or other performance venues, including complete contact information, must be provided.
- Volunteers and performers must be willing to enter into a contract specifying the time, date and place of the performance.
The Library strives to ensure quality programming for the community and the community has come to expect a certain level of content when attending Library sponsored events. For Library sponsored presentations, the Library will advertise sponsored events through local media, in-house promotion and social media to make the community aware of the event. Presenters who do not abide by the terms of the contract will not be offered additional Library sponsorship. Individuals may choose to arrange events independent of Library sponsorship and schedule meeting room use. In such cases, the Library’s Meeting Room Use policy will take precedence.
Approved by the Board of Trustees of the Dexter District Library 2/7/2011