Parking Lot Laptops
Dexter District Library now offers same day, first come first served checkouts on laptops intended to be used in the general vicinity of the Library. Checkouts are 2 hours long, rounded up to the nearest half-hour. The laptops come with a car charger and are equipped with the Microsoft Office Suite of applications and can be used to print wirelessly to our printer. See “Curbside Wireless Printing” for more details on that functionality.
You may check the availability of these laptops by clicking here, or by calling the Library at 734-426-4477. When you are finished using one of these laptops, please call the Library to initiate a curbside pickup.
Curbside Wireless Printing
The Dexter District Library offers curbside pickup for Wireless Printing. The service is available during curbside hours, except the final 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Patrons will send materials to the Library’s wireless printing service in the same manner they have in the past with their laptops, smart phones, or tablets.
a)New users are automatically shown directions upon logging onto our Public Wi-Fi or may view them here: https://dexter.lib.mi.us/uncategorized/wi-fi-printing-directions/
- All patrons are granted up to 15 free pages printed daily.
- Patrons must call from the Library (734-426-4477) from our parking lot and ask to speak with the Adult Reference Librarian.
- Patrons are to inform our staff that they have sent wireless print jobs to the printer. Let the staff know if you need color printing or if black & white is sufficient.
- Patrons will need to supply us their cell phone number, library card number, and library card pin.
- Staff will call you back when the documents are prepared and you may meet them at the curbside pickup table near the front entrance.
The Dexter District Library offers public curbside faxing service for patrons until 15 minutes prior to closing.
- The Library will provide outgoing fax service only (no incoming faxes will be received.)
- Until further notice, faxing will be free of charge to avoid money exchange.
- Patrons will need to provide the fax number clearly written on the fax.
- Patrons must call from the Library parking lot and inform staff that they require fax service.
- Patrons will need to supply a cellphone number so staff can contact them with any questions.
- Library staff will let the patron know when they are on the way down and that patrons can put the fax on the table at the main entrance.
- Staff will come out and pick up the fax.
- Staff will call the patron when the fax is complete.
- Patrons must wait for staff to send the fax and bring the fax and confirmation sheet back outside.
- Staff will place the fax and confirmation on the table at the main entrance for patron pickup.
The Dexter District Library offers public curbside copy service for patrons until 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Until further notice, copying will be free of charge with a 15 page per day limit.
- Patrons must call from the Library parking lot and inform staff that they require copy service.
- Patrons will need to supply a cellphone number so staff can contact them in the parking lot
- Library staff will let the patron know when they are on the way down and that patrons can put the materials to be copied on the table at the main entrance
- Staff will come out and pick up the materials to be copied
- Staff will call the patron to let them know that the copies are complete and that they are coming down
- Staff will place the copies and originals on the table at the main entrance for patron pickup.
Video Chat Browsing
Dexter District Library now offers browsing our collection via live video chat. Here’s how it works:
- Call the Library (734-426-4477) and ask to speak to either the youth or adult reference librarian. Which librarian you will ask for depends on which area of the collection you want to browse – adult for adult collection items or youth for children’s/young adult items.
- Tell the Librarian that you’re interested in doing a live video chat to browse the collection, and give them your cell phone number.
- The Librarian will call you back via Facetime (for those of you with Apple phones) or Google Duo (for those of you with Android phones.) It will show up as an unknown caller, please respond.
- Guide the librarian to the area of the collection that you would like to browse, pick out your books, and then perform a curbside pickup once you’ve gotten the notice that they are ready.